LONDON APARTMENT SCHEME DESIGN

Monday 2 June 2014

I recently attended an interview for a luxury interior design showroom based in London where I was invited for the second stage of the interview which involved a little design work. The brief was to produce a design scheme showcasing all of your interior deign skills.

THE BRIEF:

The brief was a property in London and is a first floor flat, the clients also have a cottage in Bath The couple are in there early 40's and have no children. They love to entertain with friends usually just 2 at only one time and need to offer occasional overnight accommodation. They both love to read and cook.

MY APPROACH ON THE BRIEF: 

My approach on this design brief was to create a space that creates a home atmosphere with a modern twist, what I mean by that is I wanted the space to be practical and fit the clients needs, yet still have a youthful and oh so called designed feel.

As the clients are regular entertainers with a passion for cooking this often goes hand in hand with each other , I created an open plan space and combined the kitchen with the dinning and lounge area. Since it is an apartment meaning the space Is limited I felt this was the most effective approach as it creates unity between all spaces in that particular area of the apartment.

Each area is still separate however instead of separating it with walls I did so by the use of furniture.  

ORIGINAL FLOOR PLAN


FLOOR PLAN PROPOSED BY ME



 PROPOSED SCHEME FOR THE KITCHEN | DINNING ROOM | LIVING SPACE

The colour palette in this room is based around light grey blues , golds , creams with a splash of black , which I added intendedly to add a bit of drama and mood in the space. The wooden feature that divides the kitchen with the rest of the space acts almost as a feature that creates that homey / cottagey feel to the space in order to make it flow and work with the rest of the scheme it was incorporated in the back wall of the lounge space.











  

PROPOSED SCHEME FOR THE GUEST ROOM

Both clients work in environments where they might have to do some work from home from time to time so the spare room I wanted to be multi functional. I placed a sofa bed which means in case there are guests staying over but it can also be used asa study room during the day if needed.



The style has been kept similar to the rest of the apartnebt however to create a slightly different feel I added a pop of colour by incorporating a yellow colour in to the scheme which complements the neutral greys really well. 




 SHOP THE LOOK



PROPOSED SCHEME FOR THE MASTER BEDROOM

In the master bedroom I opted to make the space feel relaxed I created a moody scheme however still using light tones so that the space feels spacious. I took a slightly different approach on the headboard due to the window it was limiting the space. I opted for a rectangular leather headboard which gives the space a modern touch to the space. To create a bit of drama I placed large rectangular windows alongside the bed side tables and put a geometric wallpaper on the opposite walls.


Due to the limited space I moved the wall slightly to create a bigger space in the storage area meaning a customised wardrobe could fit in , this works great as It doesn’t clutter the bedroom yet still gives a pretty decent sized amount of storage. 









 PROPOSED SCHEME FOR THE HALLWAY | KITCHEN


The corridor is very narrow so instead of cluttering it with furniture I placed a geometric wallpaper adding a bit of boldness to the space and placed mirrors on the walls just to make the space slightly more interesting.

  




No comments

Post a Comment

« »
Blog Design by The Blog Store